Saturday, December 25, 2010

Baseball Thrills and Deja Vu

First off- I want to wish everyone out in the blogosphere a very Merry Christmas; I hope you had the opportunity to spend time with loved ones as well as reflect upon, and celebrate, the birth of Jesus Christ.

In our traditional exchanging of gifts, one package in particular caught my attention. Due to the size of the package, I guessed correctly that it would contain a card or, in this case, cards. Needless to say, I was thrilled with the first card- a 1959 Topps Baseball Thrills card of Henry Aaron. This card flashed back to the '57 World Series, in which the Hammer hit .393 and had three homers. It was in game 4 of the Series that Hank hit a three-run home run to even up the series at two. And in wonderful fashion, Topps captured the moment on card #467.


The second card in my package was another Aaron-this one a 1959 Topps #380. As I took it all in, I couldn't help but think how familiar this all seemed. However, trolling ebay for deals will make even the rarest of cards seem like your neighbor next door-so I didn't even think about it anymore. Until this evening when I pulled out my Braves inventory book, and saw that the '59 Aaron was already checked off. And to use a Yogi-ism: it was deja vu all over again. Yes, somehow my wife (bless her heart) managed to ignore the Christmas list I had given her and still had the list from my birthday in August-a list with about twenty cards on it. And so for whatever reason, she picked the same card twice and I now have two '59 Aarons. Hopefully, the dealer she bought it from has a sense of humor and will accept a return and exchange it for something different!

3 comments:

  1. Don't I know you?

    -mark hassett <><

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark- how are you? How in the world did you find out this was me? I hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Send me an email, bro.
    markhassett@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete