Saturday, January 7, 2012

No Wax, but a Book

My wife and I celebrated our sixteenth wedding anniversary yesterday with dinner, a movie (War Horse, which I highly recommend!), and an overnight stay at a hotel. Before coming home today, we made our first ever trip to a Powell's Sweet Shoppe, followed by a trip to a local mall. For those of you who have never been to a Powell's, it a candy store that sells just about every kind of sweet imaginable. They even had gag-gift items, as well as various lunch boxes. Many of the items I remembered from my childhood, but the one thing missing was baseball cards. I thought perhaps they might have some junk wax, but it wasn't meant to be...

  One thing I did find during our trip to the mall was a heavily discounted book. If there's anything that rivals my interest in cardboard, it's books. In fact, when I began collecting again, I had to (gasp) get rid of some of my books in order to have some space for my sets, binders, and storage boxes. The book that I picked up is a biography of Reggie Jackson by baseball journalist Dayn Perry. I've never been much of a fan of Mr. October, but I do enjoy baseball history-and Jackson was one of, if not the, biggest stars during my childhood. What caught my attention was actually the book cover- it reminded me of a cross between the 1967 and 1969 Topps baseball cards. I'm currently reading Steven Travers' biography of Tom Seaver, and have some other stuff on deck, but I thought for $3 I can afford to sit on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment