Monday, February 13, 2012

I Don't Lyke Hot Dogs, but Lyke Me Braves

I know, about as cheesy of a title as one will find

 It probably sounds un-American, but I hate hot dogs. This loathing stems from my childhood and I can't tell you why exactly. It's a very vague memory, but I think it started at a Mariners game and had something to do with the texture of the food and the act of choking (me, not the Mariners)-well more like gagging, but "choking" set up the pun . Freud would claim that the fact that I can't vividly recall the details must prove just how traumatic this event was in my life. Even today when I go to a ballgame, I feel like I'm a stranger in a strange land: I'm chomping on pizza while everyone else is enjoying their dog. Despite all of this, I didn't have a problem consuming this 1992 Lykes Braves team set.



  Lykes Meats became the Braves hot dog vendor for the 1992 season and produced photo team sets, as well as individual cards, through the 1996 season. Prior to purchasing this set, I had bought a Tom Glavine single from the 1993 set. So when I bought this on eBay, I was expecting thirty-one individual cards, not an  uncutsheet. Surprised? Yes. Once the sheets were pulled out of the sheet protector, I was faced with the question of whether or not to perforate them. I'm still undecided. The third sheet contains a team photo. The design isn't too exciting: red logos for the team and the meat company below each player photo, blue ball with players number in it, and the players photo against a blue background inside of a tombstone shape. The backs contain basic stats and player info along with a facsimile auto.This design would have been far more fitting had it been used in a set from '88-90, had Lykes produced them during those years. By 1992 the team was a year into their dominance of the National League and  Fulton was no longer a graveyard where careers went to die.

1 comment:

  1. How much did you pay for it? I have the 1993 Lykes Braves set complete. Thanks! Pat

    ReplyDelete