Saturday, February 11, 2012

Troy Glaus...but anyway

2010 Topps MLB Atlanta Braves Team Set #ATL2  While many fans were shaking their heads when Atlanta signed Glaus to a one-year deal in December of 2009, I actually liked the deal. It was the very definition of a low-risk, high-reward type of contract and bought the club some time while Freddie Freeman got some AAA experience. The 2010 season was Glaus' final one in the majors, with his gutsy defensive play at third base in game 2 of the NLDS coming in his second to last game as a pro. But anyway, I have parodied Blues Traveler's "But Anyway" to tell the story of Troy's final season in the majors-a season which was definitely memorable. 
 

I signed as a first baseman
folks said I was done but anyway.
Testosterone, nandrolone
it's bad for me but anyway.
April was cold one-ninety-four
slugged 2-9-2 but anyway.
Carried the team from May to June
player of month but anyway.

it's a game of inches
and a game of a nation
a kind of game you must understand.
I'm looking for one pitch
you throw another
I walk away
another wasted chance.

Dog days of summer soon came
my knees started barking but anyway.
Found myself on the D.L.
and then behind D-Lee but anyway.
The doctor told me my knees were
brittle like Sid Bream's
It's my career he's trying to save but
anyway.
I found out I'm going to the minors
gotta find my legs and my swing
 but anyway.


it's a game of inches
and a game of a nation
a kind of game you must understand.
I'm looking for one pitch
you throw another
I walk away
another wasted chance.

I found out we made the postseason
quite a long shot but anyway.
Chipper and Prado they're down
so I fill in at third but anyway.
Bases are loaded Buster hits it to me
I turn the 5-4-3 to end the inning but
anyway.
I see another inning dawning
Ankiel then drives it deep for the win
but anyway.


it's a game of inches
and a game of a nation
a kind of game you must understand.
I'm looking for one pitch
you throw another
I walk away
another wasted chance.



No comments:

Post a Comment