Monday, May 21, 2012

Not Just a Minor Problem

“I don’t think it was the ballpark, the pitches were up. All of them were up.”~ Mike Minor, after serving up four more home runs Monday night. 



   I drafted Mike Minor in our fantasy baseball draft thinking that his excellent spring training would translate into a real sleeper pick. After his first three starts, I was feeling pretty confident that I was on my way to the fantasy owner/GM Hall of Fame. Minor has been absolutely horrible in his last five starts, so I guess it might be the Hall of Shame who's going to come calling. One plus: I moved Michael to the bench last night, thinking the odds were more likely that he would stink it up rather than pull out a W and get me some Ks. Brilliant move on my part.

   Mike gave up four solo home runs tonight against the Reds- three coming back-to-back-to-back with two outs in the fourth inning. Believe it or not, Minor actually saw his ERA drop tonight, from 7.09 to 6.96. In his past five starts, he is 0-3 with a 10.46 ERA. His total innings pitched during those starts is 26 2/3, and he has allowed 11 home runs in those five games (he has allowed multiple homers in four of those five starts). This is the same guy who this past offseason said basically, "play me or trade me." Granted, I don't think he quite articulated it like he wanted to, but he still came under fire from many fans.

  Fredi and Frank might not be ready to pull the trigger, but the Fightin' Pugs ain't about to throw him a bone. After tonight's spectacular outing, the kid's history.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment