Saturday, May 26, 2012

Topps Archives Jumo Packs, Retail Packs, and Blaster Breaks, PT.1



  If there's a recipe for breaking down and buying wax, then it's this: a three-day weekend with your family out of town for a week, cool, wet weather, and not having much else to do but sit around the house. That's exactly the predicament I'm in this holiday weekend, so after my morning pot of coffee I took a drive to Target- hoping to find some of the recently released Topps Archives. Booya! 

First, the retail packs:

Pack 1
Mike Moustakas
Trevor Cahill
Darryl Strawberry
Allen Craig
Harmon Killebrew Deckle Edge
Ozzie Smith
Babe Ruth
Carlos Ruiz- this card reminds me how much I hate the Phillies. It seems that every time I check the box scores, Ruiz has a multiple-hit game. And he seems to feast on Braves pitching. Case in point: May 2nd he went 3-5 w/ 2 doubles, a homer, and 7 RBI against Atlanta. Someone please get him out of the N.L. East!

Pack 2
Ty Cobb
Marco Scutaro
Roberto Clemente
Keystone Connection: Sandberg/Castro
Willie McCovey reprint
Carlos Gonzalez
Jackie Robinson
Lou Gehrig

Pack 3
Nick Swisher
Geovany Soto
Dee Gordon
Drew Storen-Gold Foil Rainbow
Vida Blue-SP One word: Awesome card!
Andrew McCutchen
George Brett-hated him as a kid, but have grown to appreciate how good he was!
Carlos Santana- would like to see some kind of dual signature card featuring him and Carlos Santana the musician.Oye Como Va!

Pack 4
Johnny Cueto
Tom Seaver-ugly background color for the card
Justin Verlander
Desmond Jennings
Josh Hamilton-cloth card
Nelson Cruz
Josh Beckett
Cliff Lee

Pack 5
John Danks
Brett Lawrie
Justin Masterson
Gary Carter
Bake McBride-SP
Phil Rizzuto
Jarrod Parker
Lonnie Chisenhall


  And of course, I wouldn't want to discriminate...

Jumbo Pack 1
Jay Bruce
Carl Crawford-where's Carl? No, he's not on the field-he's right here.
CHIPPER!
Clayton Kershaw
Alex Gordon
Gio Gonzalez
CC Sabathia
Yadier Molina
HUDDY!
Jason Motte
Willie Mays-3D
Justin Upton
Jacoby Ellsbury
Derek Holland

Jumbo Pack 2
Brandon Belt
Dustin Ackley
Andrew Bailey
Andy Van Slyke-SP
Adrian Beltre
Mark Trumbo
Ian Kennedy
Cole Hamels
Alex Rodriguez
Josh Johnson
Michael Young
Chris Young
Ian Kinsler
Brandon Phillips

What I like about this issue:
  Player selection- Home Run.
 I really like the fact that Topps used a good selection of current players, past superstars, as well as some former semi-stars such as Van Slyke. 

   Design- Triple
Would have been a home run, except I would have preferred something other than the 1954 design-perhaps either 1974 or 1976. My favorite year included in this set is the '80, followed by '71, '84, and then the '54. 

  Inserts- Home Run
Of the many inserts available in this product, my favorites are the 1977 Cloth cards, Topps Stickers, and the In Action cards- which, unfortunately I did not pull.


Like most other collectors, I would like to have seen this product on a little bit thicker stock. However, that being said, this product pleasantly surprised me. I have read and heard many concerns others had that this release would be a disappointment, similar to last year's Lineage. I have in recent months decided against putting any more sets together, focusing instead on my Braves collection. However, after opening this product I am seriously considering putting the set together-sans the SPs. 

2 comments: