Sunday, July 22, 2012

F-Bombs and Fudge Bars

"I'm your ice-cream man, stop me when I'm passin' by... All my favors are guaranteed to satisfy."

  Well, all but one.

 I was out in my back yard yesterday evening, irrigating, when all of a sudden I could hear that noise that is music to a child's ear: you know- the music of an ice-cream truck. And there's nothing like an ice cream bar or popsicle on a hot summer day. Something to cool oneself off with.

  So, anyway-as it was passing by our property, I could hear the wife (or girlfiriend-who knows) just going off on the husband , and the F-Bombs were flying. Now keep in mind, during her tirade there was no music blaring- only the acerbic words of an angry woman. My wife and I could only look at each other in shock. About the time I said, "am I hearing things?", the music started back up. The happy sounds of the ice cream truck. Can I have an f-bomb with that fudge bar, ma'am?

   Topps produced a 23 card set in 1982 for Brigham's Ice Cream stores and Coca-Cola, and featured members of the Boston Red Sox (Brigham's Ice Cream is a New England company)-including Hall of Fame members Dennis Eckersley, Jim Rice, Carl Yazstremski, and Tony Perez. But since I prefer a Boston team with a politically-incorrect name (or at least viewed as such by some), I'll offer up another Hall of Famer: Eddie Mathews.
The Brigham Ice Cream company dates back to the early part of the twentieth century, so their ice-cream parlors would have been around during the height of the popularity of the malt shop/ice cream parlor. That would have also coincided when young Eddie Mathews was breaking into the majors with the Boston Braves. 


I wonder if they served up any profanities with their parfaits?


1 comment:

  1. That's pretty funny. I wish something like that would happen in my neighborhood. Nothing cool ever happens here.

    ReplyDelete