Friday, July 20, 2012

Food-Issue Friday- Double Header!

  "It's a beautiful day for a ballgame; let's play two!"~ Ernie Banks

  We're having 100 degree weather, so I wouldn't call it a beautiful day-as Ernie was so fond of saying- but it is Friday, so let's play two!  A Food-Issue Friday Double Header, so to speak.

  Earlier this week, I checked the Sports Collectors Daily website and saw an article heading which caught my attention: Five Underrated Baseball Products of the 1990s. With a title like that you've got to be thinking investment, and so my initial reaction was, "the 90s- are you kidding me?!" However, the number 1 item on the list was quite a shocker to me.

  The 1990 Score McDonalds baseball product was a 25 card set which was released in Eastern Oregon and Western Idaho (where I have lived my entire life). It is said to have only been available in 11 different stores over the course of a three week period in the Spring of 1990. The cards came four to a pack and were given away with an order of french fries and a soft drink. While quite similar to the 1990 Score baseball product,  it is unique in its own way. The regular issued Score set had the solid colors on its borders-which I didn't care for; but this McDonalds set is really something to behold, with its blue/purple borders.
 That the author would put it at the top of his list surprised me at first, for the fact that back in the day, these things were not difficult to find here locally. Prices for superstars might have fetched $5-10, unlike the $39 being asked for a George Brett similar to this one on eBay. The more I think about it, however, I can see why these things are fetching a premium price on the market.

Forgive me if the title of the post is a little misleading. I'm not going to feature a second food issue today, but a Score McD's/Allen and Ginter-type of hybrid.

 I was originally going to do a custom card of new Braves shortstop Paul Janish-until I read an article about Steve Mann,  professor of computer engineering at the University of Toronto.

  Mr. Mann  invented the pictured computerized eyeglasses and wore them on a recent trip to France. When he entered a McDonalds, it appears that three restaurant employees felt Mann would be violating the privacy of customers by recording or photographing them. Despite presenting a note from his physician and other documents, the three employees knocked the glasses off his head and grabbed the strange looking things-supposedly damaging the lenses in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment