Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Working a Deal: September 2012 Card Show Purchases #2

"I get up at seven, yeah, and I go to work at nine. I got no time for livin', yes, I'm workin' all the time."~Rush's Working Man

  My card show funds typically come from the pocket change that I usually put into a jar at the end of each day. And since we only have a show every three months, it allows me to collect enough to make it worthwhile. Then, on the day of the show I will stop by the credit union, empty the change into the coin machine, and presto- spending money!

  And while this is the primary means of picking up cardboard from the locals, it's not the only means. That's where all that overtime I've been putting in comes in handy. A few extra bills in my wallet, and I'm feeling phat. Must be all those ones.

  After my first few purchases, I was coming to the end of the line, so to speak- facing the possibility of going home with very few cards and a wad of cash.

  Now, going home with cash in my pocket is never a bad thing-but the thing was, I was really hoping to see my usual supplier of vintage cards. He's constantly adding to his inventory, so he's always my best chance of adding to my team sets. To my dismay, I hadn't seen him yet.

  My distress soon turned to joy as I found one fellow with a 61 Spahnie that was calling out my name. And an Aaron Special from '74. Oh, let's not forget the '87 Donruss The Rookies Maddux card. All three for less than what I'd pay for a lesser conditioned Spahn on ebay. Who was I looking for? What dealer?

  As I was getting ready to leave, I noticed 'my guy.' Last table in the square. How did I miss him as I entered?

  Waiting patiently to browse through his shoe-box of goodies, I spied a couple of Hank Aaron's. Probably more than I have to spend, so I began perusing through his 1970 singles. One, two, three, four, -ooh, a Felix Millan Sporting News All-Star! (Five), six, seven, eight.

  "How much for the Aarons," I ask.

  "Forty," the dealer replies.

  I begin counting my huge wad of cash, which was still made up primarily of George Washington's. (Dang you one dollar bills!) Thankfully, there's a few fives.

  Forty-one.

  Hmm.

  I know the eight 1970 singles are going to go for more than a buck-but I'm probably the world's worst negotiator. While I will try to work a deal if I have to, I just don't feel comfortable negotiating. Never have, never will. Otherwise, why would I have paid a dollar for the Ryno/Uggla card earlier that day?

  Somehow, I summon up the courage to ask him if he would take $1 for the eight cards if I buy the Aarons. Since I have done plenty of business with him in the past, he agrees-and I get the girl cards.

 

1 comment:

  1. Nice negotiating. Almost every offer I've ever made at a card show has been accepted. I hate dickering, too, but that's where the deals are at. Those Aarons are sweet.

    ReplyDelete