Saturday, September 8, 2012

Yeah, (Bleep)! Martin Marquee! Ooh!

"War-huh, yeah. What is it good for? Absolutely nothing."- War, by Edwin Starr


     My views on war might align with the just war theory, but I am an advocate of an all-out bidding war on cardboard. You see something you want- take no prisoners! The only rules or law that should prevent me from winning this kind of war is that of being financially constrained.

Case in point: I recently saw this Martin Prado Topps Marquee auto/relic card on eBay and set my sights on it.

The opening bid was 99 cents, and within a few days was still reasonably priced at the five dollar range. On the final day of bidding, I finally jumped into the fray at $6.98 with about three hours left on the auction. After being outbid twice in the next hour, I decided that I wasn't going to let anyone outbid me on this beautiful piece. So with about seven minutes left, I upped the bid-only to watch my competition begin lobbing higher bids, to which I would respond by another bid. With about fifteen seconds left on the auction, my hope began to fade as I saw the enemy's username take the top spot on the app. Frantically, I lobbed yet another bid-this time sending it with only a few seconds left.

BOOOM!

He didn't even see it coming. Well, maybe he did-he just couldn't do anything about it.

  Upon winning, I fought off the urge to allow my inner Jesse Pinkman to scream out, "Yeah, (bleep)Magnets! Martin Marquee! Ooh!"


Stats
Weapon: iPhone
Ammunition: eBay app
Casualties: 14.5 greenbacks; 6 enemies




2 comments: