Thursday, March 7, 2013

Attention Aspiring Card Dealers

I recently purchased a 1993 Donruss Triple Play Gallery of Stars Greg Maddux card for the low, low price of 99 cents. It certainly sounded like a great price, but when I received the package today, I was in for a big disappointment. It wasn't that it was dinged, off-cut, scratched, or any other problem with the physical condition of the card. No, this problem had to do with another of my senses: the odor of the card.

You see- the seller is a smoker.

I could tell immediately upon opening the envelope. That pungent smell that is particularly offensive to former smokers.

At least he didn't charge extra for the film left behind on the card.

Look- I'm not here to campaign against smoking. But what I am saying is this: if you're selling cards- whether it be in a brick and mortar store or online (or both), please, please DO NOT SMOKE IN YOUR SHOP/HOME OFFICE!

That's one way to piss off the buyer and to ensure that you won't get repeat business. At least from this collector.

2 comments:

  1. The only card shop within two hours of me is inhabited by a heavy smoker. Awful experience. Worth driving to Cooperstown to not have to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes you wonder how he can even stay in business! I used to frequent a shop in the early to mid-nineties in which one of the owners was a heavy smoker. And although I smoked back then, it still just didn't seem right to me- knowing many didn't and would not like it on their cardboard.

      Delete