Friday, June 28, 2013

Faux Food-Issue Friday: Iconic Drink, Iconic Player

"I never wanted to play anywhere else. I'm a Southern kid, and I wanted to play in a Southern town where I felt comfortable. And I felt comfortable from day one in the Braves organization."~ Chipper Jones, upon announcing his retirement.

Among the many advertising slogans that The Coca-Cola Company has used, one in particular has always stuck with me. It's the Real Thing. Or so they say. And to be honest with you, I don't know why it is that this one has left such an indelible mark in my memory bank.

Funny thing is, I couldn't agree less. You see, I'm a Pepsi guy; and as far as I'm concerned, they are even better than the real thing. But for the sake of this post, I'll set aside loyalties to the competitor. After all, Coca-Cola is a much more iconic brand name.

Another iconic name is that of Chipper Jones, whom the Atlanta Braves will induct into their Hall of Fame (as well as retiring Jones' number 10) this evening. Jones' uniform will be the tenth number to be retired by the team- which is kind of fitting since he is arguably the most popular player in team history (not to mention, the only of the ten to have spent his whole career in Atlanta).

So in honor of the old Battle Axe, I've tweaked a Topps card from 2002. The manufacturer, in conjunction with Coca-Cola, produced a special twelve card set of the San Francisco Giants. The cards, which came two per specially marked pack and inserted into 24-can cases of the product, were issued only in the Bay area.

Congratulations to Chipper on the fine Hall of Fame career- and while I won't be able to be there to celebrate his achievements with what is sure to be a sell-out crowd, I can observe it thanks to the magic of the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment