Saturday, September 28, 2013

Fall Card Show #1: 50 Cents Buys More Than It Used To

It's a refrain we're all too familiar with, 'a dollar doesn't buy what it used to.' And while that might be true 99.9% of the time, there's still that slight chance that you find the exception to the norm. Today, at the Fall card show, I discovered that a dollar will, in fact, buy more than it used to.


After visiting nearly every table in the conference room, I stopped at one dealer's table shortly before leaving to head back home.They primarily had football, so I wasn't expecting to find anything of interest- but I noticed a couple of shoe boxes marked Baseball, with a sign reading 10 Cards for $1, so I figured, why not?!

Slotted by team, I immediately began searching their Braves cache. As I did, I tried holding back the grin that was aching to break out. 'Surely these are in the wrong box,' I thought to myself. No mistake- they were as priced. 

I pulled the following five cards before moving onto searching the other team's bins, in which I found three cards for trading material. I then pulled a couple of other Braves cards which probably aren't worth more than the 10 cents I paid for them.


The last time the Braves won the East was 2005- the same season this Marcus Giles relic card was released. Watching Dan Uggla completely suck for the better part of three seasons really has me longing for the days of having Giles as our second baseman.


How often did Maddux post cartoon-like numbers in his career? I guess the term used today is 'video-game like numbers'- but whatever. He was ridiculously good. Next summer, he will be a part of the Class of 2014 in Cooperstown.


My second favorite Braves shortstop of all-time, behind only Andrelton Simmons. 



He never played in a game at the major league level for the Braves- he would be traded to Detroit the season after this card was released- but he has pitched in 172 major league games. Now with the Phillies, he will start tomorrow against Atlanta in the final game of the regular season.


'Signs of Greatness'- but not a great signature. A Braves 2006 second round draft pick, Locke was sent to Pittsburgh along with Charlie Morton and Gorkys Hernandez in the Nate McLouth deal and was a big contributor to their first post-season appearance since Sid slid.

2 comments: