Saturday, September 7, 2013

Well, That Sucks

You may have noticed that from time to time I've been including a feature called One Score and Zero Years Ago, which is simply a look back at the sets released twenty years ago. My collecting had been getting a bit stale (my Topps Braves team sets wantlist was getting smaller and smaller), and so I thought it would be fun to go back and pickup older cards from other manufacturers- but with some sort of structure. Doing something haphazardly is not me. I hate chaos. 

Anyway, one of the cards that I always wanted 'back in the day' was the 1993 Donruss Elite Dominator card of Fred McGriff. According to Baseballcardpedia.com, the Elite Dominator set was available exclusively on the Shop at Home Network, with one Dominator card included with each '93 Donruss I or II box purchased for the amazingly low price of $99 plus $6 shipping. Each of the twenty cards had a press run of 5,000- making it (for the era) a pretty 'rare' set.

1993 Donruss Elite Dominator #2 of 20 (#0082/5000)


I recently picked up one of McGriff cards on the 'Bay for $2 and some change; I was disappointed, however, when I took the card out of its top-loader. You see, as I pulled the card out of the sleeve so that I could put it in my album, some of the green foil peeled off of the card. This led me to wonder if this is a common problem with the set; or, if there was any known counterfeiting problems due to the popularity/'rarity' of the cards.

  Has anyone out there in cardboard land encountered this problem?

I guess I will have to eventually find another card to replace this one. I don't mind beat-vintage cards, but on newer ones? Nah.

No comments:

Post a Comment