Sunday, October 6, 2013

(Ye)S I 812


Those of you who have followed my blog for a while know that I am a fan of classic rock music. And so when I downloaded the latest edition of Sports Illustrated to my iPad and saw the above photo, I couldn't help but think of one of my favorite bands while growing up, Van Halen. 

While the band, well, specifically front man David Lee Roth, often referenced beautiful girls in its lyrics, that isn't what triggered the memory. After getting fired-er, leaving the band- Roth released his first full-length solo album only months after the first Van Hagar release, 5150. Roth's album, featuring the singer with face paint and a feathered headdress- like some cannibal witch doctor-was  titled Eat 'Em and Smile. With a war of words already having been established in the press and on their records, Van Hagar then mocked Roth on their next album, which was humorously titled OU812. So...that provides the context for the title of this post.

Oh yes- Sports Illustrated...

1997 Sports Illustrated #173


Among the ocean of cards in the late 90's came Fleer' Sports Illustrated set. Produced from 1997-1999, the set included cards of many classic covers from the iconic magazine. If you have ever read, or even thumbed through SI, you are aware of the beautiful photography both on its covers and in its pages. And so the idea certainly sounded good, but I've got to admit that I was never a fan of the card set. 


HOWEVER...should there ever be a card of the latest SI cover featuring the beautiful Kate Upton along with the Upton brothers, I'd definitely buy it. For now, I'll just settle for picking up a copy of the actual magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment