Friday, January 31, 2014

Listen All Y'all, It's a Sabotage




I like to think that I have a fairly eclectic taste in music. Classic rock will always be my favorite, but I also enjoy the blues, classical, big-band era music and older R&B/Soul music, among others. One genre that I just don't care for is hip-hop/rap. That being said, if you were to check my iPhone you would find a few Beastie Boys songs (I guess they're now called 'rapcore')- one of which is called Sabotage. As much as I love the song (it's been an 'ear-worm' all day today), it was actually the video that made me a fan.

Directed by Spike Jonze, the 1994 video paid homage to, and was a parody of, 1970s television crime dramas. Featuring the band members as characters in a police show called Sabotage, the video was extremely popular and received heavy airplay on MTV. In fact, it was nominated for 5 categories at the 1994 MTV Music Video Awards. And when it didn't win any of the categories, there was outrage among fans and critics alike. Jonze and the band were vindicated when the video won "Best Video (That Should Have Won a Moonman)" at the 2009 MTV VMA.

The song itself has received its share of accolades: Rolling Stone Magazine ranked it #480 out of the top 500 songs of all-time and VH1 ranked it #19 in the 100 greatest songs of the 90s. The video is a piece of art, and the song ain't bad either.

Nineteen Ninety-Four was a pretty good year for baseball cards, too. I consider it the last 'great' year for the hobby (settle down, don't throw tomatoes at me). Good set designs/checklists were the norm. But then- BAM!- the hobby took a dump when the strike hit.

If I had to pick the greatest baseball sets of the 90s, you can bet that 1994 Fleer would be at, or near, the top. And while it will never win any awards for being flashy, cutting-edge, or for any other b.s., it will kick you in the teeth. It's a throwback- much like the Sabotage video.



























I

I'm sorry, ladies and gentlemen, there's really no reason to feature this card here tonight.


I can't stand it, I know you planned it. I'm gonna set it straight, this Watergate. I can't stand rocking when I'm in here, 'cause your crystal ball ain't so crystal clear. So while you sit back and wonder why, I got this f***ing thorn in my side. Oh, my God-it's a mirage, I'm tellin' y'all, it's a sabotage.



1994 Fleer Atlanta Braves- starring:

Sir Kent Mercker, as himself





Gregg Olson, as Cochese
Sid Bream, as Bobby "The Rookie"
John Smoltz, as "The Chief"


and Terry Pendleton as Bunny
350 Steve Avery
351 Steve Bedrosian
352 Rafael Belliard
353 Damon Berryhill
354 Jeff Blauser
355 Sid Bream
356 Francisco Cabrera
357 Marvin Freeman
358 Ron Gant
359 Tom Glavine
360 Jay Howell
361 David Justice
362 Ryan Klesko
363 Mark Lemke
364 Javier Lopez
365 Greg Maddux
366 Fred McGriff
367 Greg McMichael
368 Kent Mercker
369 Otis Nixon
370 Greg Olson
371 Bill Pecota
372 Terry Pendleton
373 Deion Sanders
374 Pete Smith
375 John Smoltz
376 Mike Stanton
377 Tony Tarasco
378 Mark Wohlers
707 "Brave New World" McGriff/Gant/Justice
U101 Mike Kelly
U102 Roberto Kelly
U103 Charlie O'Brien
U104 Jose Oliva
U105 Gregg Olson




2 comments:

  1. I love 1994 Fleer - it's on my list of sets to build eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at Beastie Boys. I'll never be able to pick a single favorite music group, because it depends on my mood. But the Beastie Boys are easily on a short list... along with The Police, U2, Metallica, The Cure, Journey, and A Tribe Called Quest.

    As for that video... one word: Awesome!

    ReplyDelete