Friday, March 28, 2014

Base(ball) Oddity #2: One Giant Leap for My Collection

Neil Armstrong once described the difficulties he faced in landing the lunar module Eagle, saying, "the unknowns were rampant, there were just a thousand things to worry about." Not to downplay the importance of the event, but I've discovered that the first part of that quote can apply to eBay, as well- as in, an abundance of good stuff. In fact, I recently found an item on there that seemed out of this world. Or, at the very least, from out of this country.

 I've been aware of box panels from O-Pee-Chee baseball, but I had never seen the larger box bottoms from the Canadian product. So you can imagine how overjoyed I was to find out that they had commemorated the Braves 1991 Worst-to-First finish on the bottoms of 1992 O-Pee-Chee baseball boxes. WHAT?! How come no one ever told me about those? Heck, even my handy-dandy Standard Catalog doesn't even mention those things.


So...what could be better than finding one of these splendid box bottoms? Doubling your pleasure, that's what. The seller had two for only 5 bucks, delivered.


As you can tell, they're pretty rough- as far as the cut goes. I'm not real crazy about the neon orange and am thinking of trimming them along the outer edge of the white border. Since it's not listed in the catalog, I really have no idea what their 'official size' is considered to be. Before their arrival, I thought they would measure out at the standard 2.5 x 3.5 size. Had I read the description that the seller included more closely, I would have known.

No comments:

Post a Comment