Saturday, March 15, 2014

Beware the Ides of Cards

So I had this idea to do a post playing off of the soothsayer's warning to Julius Caesar to 'beware the Ides of March,' but figured I wouldn't be so lucky to find a former player with the name Caesar.


1994 Mother's Cookies Dodgers #15 Thomas Caesar Candiotti


Well, I'm feeling pretty lucky because a quick search on baseball reference dot com provided my answer. The only major leaguer it pulled up was the former pitcher, whose middle name is Caesar. Score!!

My next question was: does he have a card numbered 15? Well, a search of Beckett's data base provided me with another answer. Yes, yes he does.

Beware!
Unfortunately, I can't find any records of him pitching any spring training games on March 15th during his career. So instead I'd like to say that there should have been a warning issued to the knuckleballer heading into the 1994 season: Beware pitching on May 9th. Candiotti faced the Houston Astros that day and was roughed up pretty good: 2.1 innings pitched, giving up 8 runs (7 earned) on 6 hits, 1 walk and 1 hit batsman. Included in that hit parade was a home run by Jeff 'Brutus' Bagwell.

4 comments:

  1. As a kid and Brewers fan, my favorite name ever always will be former pitching coach Cal McLish. Or, as his parents named him: Calvin Coolidge Julius Caesar Tuskahoma McLish. No lie: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/mclisca01.shtml

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow- that's one heck of a long name; I wouldn't want to have to write that out on my taxes every year!

      Delete
  2. Reds' outfielder Cesar Geronimo. (A two-way player: you cover Romans AND Indians!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course- how could I have forgotten Geronimo?!! Weird that bbref didn't pull that up...

      Delete