Friday, March 7, 2014

Food-Issue Friday: Ketchup- or Crayon?

I'm always on the look-out for some of the food cards that the Braves handed out at various home games during the better part of thirteen seasons. Vendor's such as Dubuque's, Lykes and Bryan were all used at one time or another between the early 90's through the early 2000's and, in conjunction with the team, issued team sets. Cards were typically distributed three at a time, so finishing a complete set could be quite the challenge. While I do have three team sets that are complete, the others are proving to be a challenge to find. So whenever singles appear on eBay, I try to pick them up- providing the cost isn't too much.

A recent seach on eBay pulled up a new listing: Six (actually seven) Dubuque cards with an opening bid price of 19 cents. The cards were listed as brand new, but I could tell from the picture that they most certainly were not. Creases, really soft corners and what's this- ketchup on the back of one of them? Surely, it can't be!!! That was almost a deal breaker. I don't know if I'd want to touch it if it were the condiment.

Not knowing when I would see anymore of these particular cards, I bit- and won the auction. Yep- 19 cents, plus $1.99 s/h. 

When the cards arrived, I wasn't disappointed- after all, I knew they wouldn't be in mint condition. As long as the price is right, I don't mind lesser-conditioned cards (unless they're brand-new; they should be mint then). These make up for the Lonnie Smith I was watching and missed out because I ignored the eBay notification that the auction was ending (we were in the middle of dinner; try to make it a house rule- no phones at the table).






How awesome is it that the Lemmer was included? I even got a double- so if anyone needs a Lemmer fix, let me know.


It seems like Atlanta had more catchers from '88 through '93 (give or take a year or two) than the number of Yankees who are in the Hall of Fame. Mike Heath was just one of them.



Coach's card. Yeah. I don't mind them; would prefer a player in a smaller lot.

Another coach.



*Sigh of Relief* It's only crayon. I must say, I do believe that's the first card I've ever picked up that has Crayola scribbling on it; I guess there is a first for everything.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment