Monday, March 10, 2014

Player's Ink: Micah Bowie Beep Beep!

"It's big and it's bland, full of tension and fear." ~ David Bowie's Fashion


Excuse my dropping a line from the funkalicious David Bowie song right there. With today's featured player sharing a surname with the rock legend, I just couldn't help myself.

I received this 1999 Fleer Mystique Fresh Ink from San Jose Fuji months ago, but never featured it on a post. Somehow, I forgot to include it in the Player's Ink series. Heck, I had forgotten about the card itself until going through my collection today. Better late than never, they say.



Signature Pitches:
Change-up, that was used as an out-pitch; good command of his breaking pitches. Fastball that sat 89-92.


Fashion:
Earlier in his career, Micah rocked baseball pants that rested at the knees, showing off the white socks and traditional stirrups.

Avant-Garde
David Bowie has always been considered a part of the avant-garde when it comes to fashion, and I'd say that Fleer was pretty experimental when it came to cards. The Mystique set was one of the first to include serial-numbered rookie cards and short-printed cards of the stars in a base set. And, like Bowie's Fashion video, Fleer often produced sets which were downright bizarre (not to mention ugly). I'm thinking of the loud and tasteless '95 Fleer baseball.





After watching the Bowie video, I think there needs to be one change made to this card of Micah:


Beep, beep!

1 comment:

  1. Thought I recognized that card when I saw it in my blogroll. It's going to take a day or two for me to get that Bowie song out of my head.

    ReplyDelete