Monday, May 19, 2014

Player's Ink: Jose Peraza

Signed in 2010 as a sixteen year-old shortstop out of Venezuela, Jose Peraza has recently made the move to second base- where I am convinced he will starting at in Atlanta sometime during the 2016 season. With Andrelton Simmons entrenched at shortstop for the next several seasons, moving Peraza to second makes complete sense and will quicken his ascent to the majors.



Jose Peraza 2013 Topps Pro Debut Auto

For $2.99 and free shipping, I couldn't pass this one up. For one, I am still collecting the Topps Pro Debut and Heritage Minor team sets (until they screw them up, of course), and this goes towards the completion of that checklist. Second- I truly believe Peraza will be an impact player at the major league level. I'm thinking a fair comp might be Rafael Furcal (w/out the power).



Signature Tools

Speed: Fastest player in the system. Uses it on the basepaths and in the field with a quick first step. Had 117 stolen bases in first three minor league seasons- including 64 last year at low-A Rome.

Bat: High contact hitter, who saw his walk rates climb and strikeout rates drop each of his first three seasons. The walk rate will probably never be very high (it's actually dropped this year: 5 walks in his first 162 plate appearances at high-A Lynchburg), but I'd rather have a guy who has a low strikeout rate and can put the ball in play- you just never know what will happen. And with his speed, putting the ball in play is a good thing.


As much as I like what Peraza has to offer, I'm still holding out from picking up any newer releases. I do have a few already from previous sets, so I'll hold on to them. Having just turned twenty 3 weeks ago, Jose is still awfully young- and while he's hitting very well at High-A Lynchburg, the true test will come at AA Mississippi. Perhaps his fast start will result in a promotion in the not-too distant future.




No comments:

Post a Comment