Tuesday, May 20, 2014

What If?

Two recent pickups were originally going to be added to my 'Fourteen Fugitives' wantlist. The list, which is filled almost exclusively with cards that I don't expect to ever add to my collection, is in need of a revision. Not only were most of them unattainable- but I had already bought one of the cards ('53 Bowman color Warren Spahn) and only two others are possibilities of becoming mine. Nothing like setting lofty goals which will never be met. But as I'm so prone to do, I procrastinated and actually got the cards before they could be added to the list.

On to the cards...

I love the concept of the 2002 Donruss Originals "What If?..." insert set. The Originals set itself was cool enough- think Donruss' version of Topps Archives- but to throw in cards which didn't exist
and new designs for the few years preceeding their entry into the baseball card market? It would have been a very fun product to break.

I don't know the odds of pulling the What If? cards, but they seem to be difficult to find- at least the two Dale Murphy cards seem to be tough to find. Having been keeping an eye on eBay for some to go up for sale, my patience finally paid off- I found one on the auction site for seven bucks. 







What If?...
...TBS had not televised Atlanta Braves games- or, what if our local cable provider had not carried the Superstation? I think it's safe to say that I would not have become a Braves fan.

Nineteen-Eighty was the year that our family got cable television. Not only did it open a whole new world for us, as far as news, movies and television programming, but it also (and more importantly, to me) gave us far more sports than we could ever imagine. College hockey, the Atlanta Hawks, the Chicago Cubs and, of course, the Barves. Having the ability to follow a major league team so closely really gave me a love for the Braves, even though I lived on the other end of the country. 



What If?...
...you could get cards for free- would you do it? Hells yeah, you might say. Well, my search for the '78 Donruss mock-up finally paid off. Having found none on either eBay or COMC, I decided to search Amazon.com. Low and behold, there she was in all her glory.

The purchase was my first off of the Amazon site and best of all...I didn't pay a dime for it. Using the points off my amazon credit card, I was able to finish off the dynamic duo of my childhood hero.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know about those What if sets. It is an interesting concept. I'll be keeping an eye out for the Rod Carew versions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I use my Discover points on Amazon every now and then. I'm also a big fan of those eBay Bucks.

    ReplyDelete