Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Base(ball) Oddity #16: Big Shot Tom

I think Topps got it all wrong in its 1993 Full Shots set. They should have called it Big Shots.

The cards which make up the set (21 in all) measure 3-1/2" x 5" and were included in special retail packages along with two packages of the flagship brand. Unlike their competitors, Topps' oversized cards had photos and a unique design that both varied from the normal base sets.

1993 Topps Full Shots #19 Tom Glavine


Even though I don't think the name fits as well as mine, I'm not going to be too harsh with Topps; heck, I've searched for this card for years but never had it on my list of Fourteen Fugitives. We all make mistakes. The name is the only bad thing about these oddballs (well, the set did include David McCarty in it). And while I'm not crazy about oversized cards, it does add to the oddball-ness of this beauty. 



1 comment: