Thursday, October 30, 2014

Tells a Story and Stuff

It's said that every picture tells a story, and it's true. We often don't know the entire narrative (who, what, when, where, why) but that doesn't take away from the fact that there is a story. And, because the cardboard we collect are essentially baseball picture cards, as the old advertising proclaims, there are stories to be told with them as well.

Sometimes the story we want to tell isn't about what's depicted on the card, but where or when we got the piece. Or , who gave it to us. That's the kind of story about this Craig Kimbrel Triple Play card.


We went over to some friends house last night for dinner and to watch Game 7. As we were getting ready to eat, my friend Rick remembered that he had something to give to me- this Kimbrel card. 

What I remember about this Kimbrel card- besides the kindness in thinking of me and the time of fellowship shared over a meal- was Game 7. I'll remember how disappointed I was in seeing Tim Hudson not make it out of the second inning, or the electricity of the home team fans. I'll remember how Madison Bumgarner dashed the hopes of those same fans- setting a record in the process; and how he caused Night Owl to have to seek help in finding a headline that wouldn't get him fired. 

But most of all I'll remember the bottom of the ninth and the near disaster that took place on the fly ball off of Alex Gordon's bat. Well, it would have been disastrous for the Giants and their fans. I would have been thrilled, had Gordon scored.

Oh yeah- one other thing to remember when I see this card: the poor ChevyGuy bumbling his way through his MVP presentation. I didn't get to see it live (we had started to head for home at that point), but I did see it on my phone when I got home. Thank God for technology and stuff.



No comments:

Post a Comment