Thursday, October 16, 2014

The 2014 Stadium Club Braves

It's been months since I've done one of these upcoming/recently-released product team checklists. The reason is quite simple- I got tired of wading through all the various relic, autograph, relic/auto, blah, blah, blahs on the checklists- many of which are so low numbered you or I have no hope of getting them. But with the recent release of Stadium Club baseball, I figured I'd do one for what has always been one of my favorite brands in the hobby.


While the front is what you would expect from Stadium Club, I have to admit that I was somewhat disappointed in the back of the cards. It's not that it lacks a great design- because it is a great move from what has become the norm for most Topps products. There's photography, plenty of color, and it even looks like a classic Stadium Club-but while being fresh. The one simple omission is the gloss. A nice glossy front deserves a nice glossy back, and this is where Topps failed. The backs have a dull surface, making the cards seem more like an entry-level product. I don't know what the reason for this exclusion is, but perhaps it comes down to $$$. Despite the dull finish, this is still my *early* choice for set of the year.

Base Braves
23 John Smoltz
44 Hank Aaron
69 Freddie Freeman
70 Justin Upton
115 Jason Heyward
116 Andrelton Simmons
122 Craig Kimbrel
137 Julio Teheran
141 Evan Gattis
178 Greg Maddux










Legends Die-Cuts
#LDC2 Greg Maddux




Field Access
#FA8 Hank Aaron
FA11 Greg Maddux



                                                              Autos
SCA-EG Evan Gattis
SCA-FM Fred McGriff
SCA-GM Greg Maddux
SCA-JS John Smoltz
SCA-JT Julio Teheran
SCA-MM Mike Minor
SCA-TP Terry Pendleton





These two beauties have found their way onto eBay. Unfortunately, due to the low numbering, I won't be buying either. Nice looking cards, though.


The other two cards I've added to my Teheran and Maddux collections:



2 comments:

  1. 10 cards and an insert hey? Seems doable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that's the one pleasant surprise about Stadium Club- not thirty some variations and different inserts. I wonder if it will become an annual release once again? Bring some of these back and do away with all the high-end products. Yeah, right.

      Delete