Monday, November 17, 2014

An Average Card? Yes- and No

I have always had an affinity for league leader and team leader cards. They, along with season/playoff highlight cards, help chronicle the previous season in a way that the normal base cards cannot. And while I'll never not like such subset cards, I will acknowledge that not all of them are created equal.

My favorite League Leader cards are from the 1964 and 1965 Topps sets. The primary reason? The large photos and clean designs. Oh yes, I also like the vertical format. Unfortunately, most leader cards since then have been printed in a horizontal format and have a lot more going on with the design, giving them a little more of a cluttered look.

2009 O-Pee-Chee #532


You can imagine my delight, then, when the 2009 O-Pee-Chee baseball set was released, featuring cards that were reminiscent of the '65 League Leader cards. Not only that, but one actually featured 2008 N.L. batting champion Chipper Jones. I think we have a winner.

For some reason, Upper Deck decided to forgo the typical 'Batting Leaders' monicker in favor of 'Average Leaders'- something I don't recall having seen before. That, along with the fact that it has one of my all-time favorite Braves, makes this not your average card.






No comments:

Post a Comment