Monday, November 17, 2014

Choices


One conundrum many of us in this hobby face is whether or not we should collect our favorite player from our favorite team. I mean, how often does a player spend his entire career with one organization? Odds are that you or I will spend an exorbitant amount of money on someone who will end up with a team we could care less about, only to discover our interest in the player wanes. It's not the rule, certainly, but is often the case. 

While most of the players I've collected over the years, namely Dale Murphy, Tom Glavine, John Smoltz, and Greg Maddux, were either traded or left as free-agents, there is one player I collect who bucked that trend and never left town: Chipper Jones.

I chose this topic because of yesterday's trade that sent Jason Heyward to the St. Louis Cardinals. Being one of the more popular players in Braves Country, Heyward still has a pretty decent fan base in the world of cardboard and it got me thinking, will Braves fans still be interested in collecting Heyward? I suppose they will, just as I still collect those previously mentioned players. I can tell you that other than Murphy, I don't have as much of an interest in picking up the non-Braves cards of the Big Three. I certainly won't turn them down, but they're not high on my list of 'must-haves.'

Anyhow, yesterday also brought with it an envelope from a seller on Sportlots, and was an exclusive Chippah package: 


1997 Collector's Choice The Big Show #2


1998 Collector's Choice Mini Bobbing Heads #4


1997 Collector's Choice You Crash the Game #CG2


1998 Collector's Choice #306


1997 Collector's Choice #270


1997 Collector's Choice #326

I always enjoyed the Collector's Choice brand and wish that Upper Deck was still producing baseball cards just so we could look forward to this annual release. The '98 with the silver and red border has always been one of my favorite designs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment