Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Base(ball) Oddity #17: There's Always an Exception

 I know many people within the card collecting community consider the U.S. Playing Card Company's player cards 'oddballs' and chase after them for their PCs. For some reason, I've never been very interested in obtaining them for my collection. There's always an exception to the rule, however, when it comes to collecting, and my tune has changed ever so slightly in recent weeks.

As many of you might know, there aren't many items showing Dale Murphy as a member of the inaugural Colorado Rockies team, so whenever something pops up I try to grab a copy. A recent eBay auction netted me the entire 1993 Rockies team set of U.S. Playing Cards for $4 plus shipping.





Considering how much an eBay seller is asking for a graded copy of the 3 of Clubs ($72.99- down from $99), I think I got a pretty good deal.


The only other card I would even consider collecting from one of these sets would be an early (pre-95) Chipper- but I don't think they exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment