Tuesday, December 2, 2014

High Tek Cards, Lowbrow Budget

The checklist for 2014 Topps High Tek went live on Monday afternoon and in-hand cards showed up on eBay shortly thereafter. I'll say this for Topps: they can still create a beautiful card when they put their minds to it (see this year's Stadium Club and this new release). Unfortunately, this release just adds to an already over crowded high-end market.

Purusing eBay, I found a more than a few Braves that were already available, so I thought I'd post a few of the pictures:









If what I'm reading is correct, High Tek boxes consist of one single 8-card pack for a price point of $60.83. With low print runs, acetate cards and one autographed card per box/pack, I get that the price is going to be high. I just hope that the secondary market will soften significantly. This is one high-end set that I'd actually like to pick up a few of my favorite players. I find the design much more compelling than the worn-out Tribute and Triple Thread brands- even if each player has twelve different pattern variations. However, it's hard to try and go all High Tek when you're on a lowbrow budget.

2 comments:

  1. I don't mind that it's hit-centric, but I would like it a whole lot more if you got more base cards in a box. Eight cards in the box just doesn't pull me in, but if you kept the inserts the same and packed 30 or 40 base cards in there I'd be more inclined to try it out.

    ReplyDelete