Sunday, January 25, 2015

1982 Atlanta Braves Team Issue

I recently ran across a lot of 11 1982 team-issued Braves cards on eBay with a starting bid of 99 cents (which is the price I ended up paying for them). Up until about three weeks ago, I had never owned any of the black and white 3" x 5" cards; now, I own fourteen.




The first ones I purchased consisted of a couple of Dale Murphy's and a Bob Horner from 1983 and 1984, respectively. This second purchase gained my interest primarily because it included a "Rookie" card of Brett Butler, who had been one of my favorites during his short time in Atlanta, as well as his Topps rookie card partner, Steve Bedrosian.

One of the other interesting pieces in this release (but not in the lot I purchased) is the Bob Porter card. At first, I thought that Beckett (where I got this checklist from) was in error- that it should have read Horner, not Porter. But I searched for info on a Bob Porter and found that there was, in fact, a player by that name who had played in a few games for Atlanta in 1981 and 1982. An obscure name that I didn't remember. That's one of the great things about team-issued cards such as these.



I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'll try to finish off the set, but I have a good start, should I do so.

#1 Jose Alvarez
#2 Steve Bedrosian
#3 Bruce Benedict
#4 Brett Butler
#5 Rick Camp
#6 Joe Cowley
#7 Carlos Diaz
#8 Ken Dayley
#9 Terry Harper
#10 Randy Johnson
#11 Rufino Linares
#12 Rick Mahler
#13 Larry McWilliams
#14 Dale Murphy
#15 Bob Porter
#16 Joe Torre MGR
#17 Bob Walk
#18 Bob Watson
#19 Larry Whisenton
#20 Chief Noc-A-Homa

No comments:

Post a Comment