Monday, January 5, 2015

My Wallet Card

"It's time to play the game, time to play the game. It's all about the game and how you play it..." Motorhead


As many of you know, there's been a new game announced over at Baseball Card Breakdown and it seems to be a wildly popular idea, judging by the number of replies and commitments to play. My decision to participate coincides nicely with tomorrow's announcement of the 2015 Baseball Hall of Fame inductees. Unfortunately, the player on my card won't be among those elected.

My first choice was going to be a Topps rookie card of John Smoltz- until I realized that my wallet is too small to hold it. Who needs a big ol' wallet when you never have any cash, right? Anyway, the thought of altering the card did cross my mind, but then I thought better of it. After all, I'll be carrying this piece of cardboard in my back pocket for the next year (or more)- it will take enough of a beating as it is.

My second idea for a card was actually quite fitting, being that it was a 1982 Perma Graphics Credit Card of Dale Murphy. But carrying around a piece of plastic isn't as fun as a piece of cardboard. Besides, I'd feel like I was a cheater- and Dale couldn't associate with a cheat.


So, I've decided to go with a different Murphy card: a 1988 Topps U.K. Mini.


As you can see, mini Dale fits nicely in my wallet.



I guess it's kind of symbolic, the use of a short Murphy card.

A short period ('82-'87) when he was, arguably, the best player in baseball.

Numbers that, while very good, come up short when compared to the juiced players who would follow him.

Fifteen years on the HOF ballot- coming up (way) short in each of them.



Here's a better look at each side of the card, in all its glory.



This card might be miniature, but we've got some big plans for the next twelve months.



1 comment: