Monday, January 12, 2015

With a Bang

If your neighborhood is like mine, then you probably have a couple of houses where the owners like to ring in the New Year by letting off fireworks. If you're one of said perps, then all I'm going to say is I hope you never move into the area. I joke. Well, sort of.

Anyway, as we were fastly approaching the witching hour, er- New Year, I couldn't help but feel the excitement. Not necessarily for the turn of the calendar, but for the turn of the calendar. Confusing? Well, what I mean is that with the new month comes new allowance money. Which means...NEW CARDS- HOWWWWW FUUUUUUUNNNN!

Now, I'm not so much of a geek that I have to have a special card for my first card purchase each month, but I am just geeky enough that the first card purchase of the New Year needs to be special. This is the first rule in the recently started bylaws here at the Card Chop. 

ARTICLE 1 
CARD PURCHASES

1.01 New Year

The first card purchase of each New Year must be a special one and can not be a common. First card must be either an Atlanta/Milwaukee/Boston Brave or be part of a PC. 

There it is- pretty straightforward and simple.

So, what was this awesome and spectacular first puchase of 2015?!!!

Behold...(Drumroll, please)



1983 KG Glossy Dale Murphy Blank Back



I only found out about this card in recent months and really have no information about it. Word on the message boards has it as some test issue- but I have yet to confirm that information. I do know that there is also a 'jumbo' KG set, which measures 3x5 and that the sets were offered in hobby publications such as Baseball Card Magazine. This seems to make the second theory more plausible: that someone with the initials KG created the cards and then offered them through various publications. Whatever the case may be, I like that there's a sense of intrigue surrounding this card.

I might have overpaid for this thing at $12.98 delivered- but that's much cheaper than the $30 price tag on the only other one I've seen on eBay (there's also a graded copy with a price tag north of $200).

All in all, I'm happy getting this for the price I paid. I'd much rather spend thirteen bucks on this than some parallel copy of a 20-- product. 

No comments:

Post a Comment