Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Annual Spahning

As one who is a team set collector, I can't help but feel that if I don't have every insert card produced with a Brave player on it, then my team set is somehow incomplete.

Slowly, but surely, I'm discovering that this is impossible. Rainbow parallels, low numbered hits, and cards that are just plain unappealing to me have not only spared me many a headache, but have saved me from bankruptcy as well. 

One player I know I'll be adding to each team set year after year is none other than the great Warren Spahn. 

The lefty has been a fixture in Topps sets for a number of years now. And though it would be good to see the card manufacturer mix in some fresh faces, it's nice to see a player like Spahn getting recognition, as I truly believe he's the most under appreciated pitcher in baseball history- at least in the post-war era.




I like the design of this 'flashback' set- only I find it to be something that would fit better in Heritage, since that's the set that is designed to tie current players and card sets to those of the past. Beautiful design, however, and I also like the card a/b concept.


Unfortunately, the same can't be said for the Highlight of the Year insert set. I like the concept, but the card front is horrible. I could have photoshopped something better than this. I do like the design for the back of the card, however.















If you use the Topps Bunt app, then you are probably aware of the number of  'insert' sets that Topps has included  in its 'packs.' I wish that they would have a team who puts as much effort into the design of the cardboard offerings than those who are involved in the digital cards. While Series 1 does have some nice inserts,  let's hope that we see some of that creativity from the digital side in Series 2.

2 comments:

  1. Actually, let's hope we see more creativity stretched over fewer insert sets. If Topps didn't feel the need to heap dozens of insert sets into every release, I bet we would get better insert sets -- instead of that uninspiring Highlight of the Year set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're absolutely right about that, Tony.

      Delete