Friday, February 20, 2015

Food-Issue Friday: Denny's- At Least the Cards are Good

Yet another in the ongoing series of trade posts from my blockbuster deal with TJ- aka the Junior Junkie. Today, we're going to 'America's Diner,' Denny's....



When our kids were younger we would go to Denny's on Tuesdays, I think it was, a few times a year to take advantage of the kids eat for free special. The diner was also a popular place for breakfast whenever we were traveling. At some point, however, we decided to skip Denny's and take advantage of the continental breakfast offered by whichever hotel we were staying at- it was much lighter on the pocketbook.


Thus, we had not been to a Denny's in, oh, probably four or five years, until about a year ago when, on a whim, we decided to stop by for dinner.


There wasn't much of a crowd. In fact, the entire right side of the restaurant was empty. When the waitress came to seat us, she led us into an area on the left side- right between the only two tables that were occupied. To our left, a teenager, his mother and (I'm presuming) his grandfather. To our right, a mom and her three children.




Now, I'm the type of guy who doesn't like loud, boisterous people or loud settings. I rarely go out, and when I do, I want to enjoy some peace and quiet- not listening to the non-stop talk of an older gent who was hard of hearing (and thus, spoke EXTREMELY LOUD) or smart ass kids whose conversation must include 'friggin' before every word (and mom doesn't try to encourage an expanded vocabulary). It got annoying very quickly. The entire ambiance (well, it was Denny's, I guess) made me want to get the hell out of there. At least there was food on the way.







One problem- the food only ruined the evening that much more. I was really looking forward to a plate of biscuits and gravy, but what I received was a plate that had something that passed for biscuits and thick jello cold gravy. I honestly don't ever remember taking only one or two bites at a restaurant and refusing to eat anymore, but that day, I did. I actually got a little angry over the whole thing.








As we were waiting at the front counter to pay the bill, I looked to my right and there- right next to the door- sat a lottery ticket machine. Perfect! That just made my evening because, for some reason, I found humor in it.


As hard as I tried, I could not think of a single restaurant with one of those things. Not one.




Why is that, I asked myself.




I've never been one to dream of 'hitting the lottery'- whether it be through a legal, state-ran lottery (or multi-state lotto) or at the craps table. So the idea of people spending their hard earned cash on nothing but a roll of the bones...I just don't get it.  Studies say those who play the lottery the most are those who can least afford it.




It just seems like cheating yourself out of the satisfaction of knowing what you have came solely through good, old-fashioned hard work, with no shortcuts.








Play the lottery? Pft. Don't have the money to spare- and if I did, I'd use it to buy a box of Topps 5-Star baseball.









1 comment:

  1. Denny's Holograms = One of my favorite oddball/food issues from the 90's

    ReplyDelete