Friday, March 6, 2015

Food-Issue Friday: 1989 Hillshire Farm/Kahn's Eddie Mathews

Most of you are probably aware of Mark Grace's remedy for breaking a slump at the plate- finding the 'fatest, gnarliest, grossest chick' to have sex with (the 'slump-buster,' as he called it). He swore that it would bring instant success. But what to do when you're in a slump at the keyboard and can't think of anything to write? 

That's the question I've been asking myself a lot recently. Posts aren't as frequent as they had been, a number of drafts sit in my dashboard, what I have posted hasn't been too inspiring, and readership has gone down quit a bit. Perhaps it's time to take a break. Or, find my own cardboard slump buster. 

Now, before you think I'm into some weird stuff, I'm strictly talking about some  ugly, gross card to feature. Something that isn't the eye-candy we collectors drool over. 

1989 Hillshire Farms/Kahn's Cooperstown Collection

This 11-card set was available through the mail for just one dollar plus 3 proof of purchases. The subjects were all Hall of Famers and includes Cool Papa Bell, Harmon Killebrew and Willie Stargell, just to name a few.





I don't have anything against cards that feature paintings- I just don't like bad art. Unfortunately, there are three things that made this 'gnarly': the face, the foot, and the background. Fix those and it wouldn't be so bad.

I do like the design on the front of the card, but find the back just plain drab. Again, a simple fix (color!) could transform the backside.

But then again, with all those fixes, this card wouldn't be a slump buster.

2 comments:

  1. That is just an ugly card.

    As for posting, well, you know, write when you want, don't write when you don't feel it, and just have fun with it. It's all for yourself, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah- you're right. Haven't been feeling it, but feel like I 'have to.'

      Delete