Monday, March 2, 2015

I Love the Smell of a Great Trade

A few weeks ago I ran across a new blogger in the hobby, I Love the Smell of Cardboard in the Morning (which, by the way, is a great name for a blog!). The first of Tim's posts that I read was him revealing his #WalletCard- the Durham Bulls mascot, Wool E. Bull. I knew immediately that if I made only one trade this new year, that it had to be this card. So I contacted Tim and inquired about any extras he might have, and he said if he didn't have any more of that particular card, he surely would have one from a different year. Much to my delight, Tim did have an extra to spare, plus a great, never heard of Braves team set.

2013 Choice Durham Bulls #30 Wool E. Bull



While the back of the card doesn't indicate it, Wool E. Bull's birthdate, according to the Bull's website, is July of 1992, and his middle initial stands for 'Education'- a name that was chosen from over 500 names. Interestingly enough, I sent Tim a number of 1992 Classic/Best Durham Bulls as part of this trade. I bet that makes Wool E. feel old!

As far as the card itself, I've always like the team's color scheme (is it Texas Tan or Burnt Orange? I've heard it called both), and the use of the colors for the borders on this set makes it one of the better minor league sets in recent years.

I don't know if this card qualifies as an oddball or not- all the other Bulls cards I've seen from the '13 Choice team set do not include the BlueCross BlueShield of North Carolina logo. The card is numbered #30, so it's obviously part of a set. I think I'll go ahead and include it in my oddball binder. It's certainly out of the ordinary, as far as my collection goes.




Tim also sent something that has left me looking for more info on its release: a 2007 Upper Deck Braves team set, given away at Turner Field as a promotional item. If anyone has any information on the giveaway date, I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

The Braves set contains twenty-five cards, numbered 1-25, and shares the same design as the regular issue of 2007 Upper Deck. The card stock is more like that used in their 300-card First Edition issue than the glossier stock used in the flagship brand.

One of the perks with oddball sets such as this is that it includes a few players who were either not included in the regular Upper Deck issue or had different photos used on their cards.

Players not included in the base set (or the First Edition set):

#1 Bobby Cox


#14 Jarrod Saltalamacchia




#15 Yunel Escobar




#24 Willie Harris


If this card looks familiar, it might be his 2008 Upper Deck card you're thinking of- it features a photo very similar to this one. In fact, it's probably a few frames later, as Harris is getting ready to release the ball.



Photo Variations:

#21 Chris Woodward



#25 Andruw Jones




Thanks again, Tim, for the generosity shown in the trade!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the set! I will look for the ticket stub to pinpoint the giveaway date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim, that would be awesome to be able to find out! I looked in the Standard Catalog, and it's not listed; I also searched online, but to no avail.

      Delete
  2. I am writing to see if you are interested in applying to cover MLB for FantasyPros News Desk. You can get a sense of the coverage we provide by checking out our NFL News Desk via the link below:

    fantasypros.com/nfl/player-news.php

    This is not a paid position, but your name will be attached to your work and your Twitter account and website can be promoted. There will be opportunities for growth if you prove productive.

    If you are interested in applying, you can do so here, http://www.fantasypros.com/mlb-news-desk-application/.

    Let me know if you have any questions.

    ReplyDelete