Monday, March 16, 2015

It's More than Just Junk from Jaybarkerfan

I'm a little behind on this, but a couple of weeks ago I received a flat rate box in the mail from Wes over at Jaybarkerfan's Junk. Wes had contacted me after a recent post, asking for my address- and you can imagine the excitement...my first package from one of the most generous traders in the blogosphere!


I certainly wasn't disappointed as I went through the box full of goodies.





But there's more....




The box had a little bit of everything: 70s Topps, brands I've never seen, recent releases, and junk- plenty of junk era stuff. And you know what? I loved it!

My collection is lacking in a number of late 80s/early 90s cards and I found plenty of them to add to my team set binders.



Perhaps my favorite of all Wes had sent was the 2000 Gallery Rafael Furcal Students of the Game. I love that set and would like nothing more than to see Topps bring it back in the near future- as they did with Topps Tek last year. The card next to it, the Ultra Andruw Jones, is an interesting one. No foil stamping. You can't have an Ultra card without the bling. (unless, of course, it's the 1991 debut.) Terdo has a good shot at making this year's roster, and that would be a good thing. Finally- orange, gree, and yellow on a card?! Well, it worked well on this 1990 Score Steve Avery. Gotta love the 90s.





Have never been a fan of Fleer, but was thankful for the Linares and Cabrera cards. They are missing from their respective years. Donruss was King of the 80s and I'm glad to see the brand make a comeback the last two years. Now, if only Upper Deck would comeback. Can you image them doing a college baseball set? Yes, please! But for now, I'm just happy with the ones in this package. I will, one day, finish those team sets.






I know, it's crazy, but I had never seen a Topps Unique card before this LaRoche found its way to my hands. My first thought was that this would have been a perfect design for an NFL set. 


Like Fleer, I was never a big fan of Score. That being said, I do really like the '89 and '90 sets- and the representatives shown here will go towards those team sets. My first Upper Deck Masterpieces...all I can say is WOW! I wasn't collecting during the two years UD produced these beauties. One more reason why we need that company back.


Thanks again, Wes, for all the great cards! I don't open wax boxes any more, but this was right on par with that experience. Be on the lookout for a bubble mailer from me soon!

1 comment: