Monday, April 20, 2015

Entitled

Those of us who collect retired players can at times be spoiled. How? Well, if our guy was a big enough star at one time, we come to expect them to be included in every newer product. It's the curse of the inclusion of retired stars in current sets. We somehow end up with a sense of entitlement when player X appears in ten products each year.

As one who collects a retired player (Dale Murphy, among others), I'm to the point where I'd like to see him in one set per year-if even that. With so many different brands, Topps could rotate it so he's in a different brand each year. I know I'd appreciate his cardboard much more if that were the case. According to Beckett's database, Murphy didn't have any cards produced between 1994 and 1999- and collectors were hungry for them.

I started thinking about this last week after seeing the Celebzdirect twitter account post the following pictures of Andruw Jones signing for an upcoming (?) Topps product. I'm thinking it's Archives, but it's hard to tell now-a-days. The comment about it being redemption cards has me a bit confused, as I don't recall hearing about him being in any previous set. If they are signed redemptions, then it obviously can't be an upcoming product.






 Doesn't matter. I'm jacked to see a new card of 'Druw, whose last card was in...2013? I thought for sure that it was much longer since we have seen the former Gold Glover on cardboard. I will definitely be buying one of those, even if it is yet another 1989 design.

Back during Andruw's minor league days, I sent him a photocopied article from Baseball America- which he generously signed in two spots:




1 comment:

  1. Personally, I'd like to see Topps make sure that they are mixing it up some so that the *same* retired players are not showing up every year!

    ReplyDelete