Friday, April 3, 2015

Food-Issue Friday: Seeds

There's nothing like finding a hidden gem.




Take today's card- I never knew it existed until JT over at The Writer's Journey posted it a few weeks ago. I knew immediately that I had to have one for myself and went searching eBay. After buying one, JT responded to a comment I had left on his blog and offered to look for one for me. While I appreciated the offer, I declined since I had already purchased one.



I was never much of a fan of the 2008 Topps design until about 9 months ago. For some unexplainable reason, it really started growing on me. Take away the foil and it looks like it could be out of the '60s. The one thing I'm not crazy about is the notched-out space below the team name. Topps should have just left it with a straight border and place their name elsewhere. The two logos on the bottom of the card clutter things up a bit, and I think Topps would have been better off leaving them for the back of the card. Regardless, it's still a unique design and one of the better ones from the years 2000-2009.


Speaking of the card back...



Once again, the David Seeds and Redsfest logos really stand out, only this time in a more positive way. My favorite part of the back, though, is the watermarked Mr. Red. The mascot is among the best in the game and takes us back to the beginning of the league. The dapper mustache, the pill box cap, solid stirrups. Glorious.


Speaking of gems, I just recently discovered this song from The Boss. I'm sure this outtake from the Born in the U.S.A. sessions is well known with Springsteen fans, as it has been included in a few of his subsequent tours.


No comments:

Post a Comment