Sunday, May 10, 2015

Cards Only Mother Could Love

I have always been a fan of the horror/suspense film genre, whether television or on the big screen, so I was thrilled to learn of 'Bates Motel'- A&E's Psycho prequel. The young man who plays the teen-aged Norman (British actor Freddie Highmore) is a phenomenal actor and really steals the show. Actress Vera Farmiga also does a great job portraying Norma, or known simply as 'Mother' to her beloved son. As Norman's psyche becomes more fragile throughout the series, Mother's maternal instincts work overtime and she often turns a blind eye to the truth about her son in order to protect him. Norman is clearly becoming a son that only a mother could love.

So in honor of Mother's Day- and the A&E series- I thought I'd take a look at some cards that only a mother could love. Norman's mothers, of course...


1959 Topps Norm Cash

Ugly design, but mother would approve. Norm looks lifeless, almost like he has been stuffed by a taxidermist down in a dark basement.





1995 Fleer Update Norm Charlton

I have to question if Mother would even be interested in this one. The worst idea for a set in the history of man. I hope the person responsible for this atrocity was held accountable. It makes me want to blackout.





1962 Topps Norm Larker

No hat, no team colors on his jersey. Yes, this card is just plain boring but Mother would look past that to see the good- whatever that might be...





1991 Pacific Senior League Dan Norman

So- you want to market a professional baseball league made up of players aged 35 and over? The rosters read like the checklists of 70s and early 80s baseball card sets and with the average game drawing 911 fans (BaseballReference.Com), I wonder if someone called 911 to have the founder institutionalized.





1973 O-Pee-Chee Fred Norman

You ever notice that there's rarely anyone at the Bates Motel? One customer, perhaps. Much like Padres games back in the 70s.





1981 Donruss Nelson Norman




Oh, the horrors of those eighties powder-blue uniforms. They look as though they were designed to be marketed towards women- perhaps someone like Mother? Well, the baby blues of the Braves were the one exception.



1993 Bowman Les Norman

With all due respect to Norman, I think Mother must have been behind the copy introducing this video and pressured the interviewer for his generous words. "Former Royals great"? George Brett is a former Royals great; Amos Otis- yes; Brett Saberhagen- absolutely; Willie Wilson- yep. But Les Norman?





1961 Topps Norm Siebern

It may not be as iconic as the Motel, but I think Mother was pleased to see her little boy had made it to Yankee Stadium.





1961 Topps Brother Battery Norm Sherry-

We know that brothers fight, but battery?! This is one card we know mother loves.



Neither my wife nor my mother read this blog, but I still want to wish each of them a very happy Mother's Day. Growing up, my mom was always very generous by buying me cards; my wife will pick up a pack for me from time to time and has always been supportive of my interests- even when it comes to plain old cardboard.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! As a fellow blogger... I can totally appreciate the amount of research, scanning, and card selection that went into it. I'm sure your mother is proud of you!

    ReplyDelete