Friday, May 29, 2015

Food-Issue Friday: If I Could Be Lyke (Mini) Mike

I didn't catch it on the air (I don't watch much live tv), and only found out about it while googling "be like Mike," but apparently Gatorade brought back an updated version of the 'Be like Mike' campaign earlier this year.

It's been a while since I've rolled out a Braves Lykes card on Food-Issue Friday and I have had this 1994 Lykes Mike Kelly mini in my 'Scan and Post' basket for months, so I think it's time to air it out.



Like Michael Jordan, Mike Kelly possessed great athletic abilities and when Atlanta drafted him #2 overall in the 1991 MLB draft, I thought it was a slam dunk pick (see what I did there?!). I've touched on this many times before, so I won't rehash it- I'll just note that things didn't turn out quite like we had hoped.




As with their previous sets, Lykes (the Braves hot dog concessionaire) issued the 1994 Atlanta Braves cards in two formats- one being standard-sized cards, issued three per Tuesday home game- and the other being a fold-out team photo set featuring smaller (2-1/8" x 3-1/8"), perforated cards. The team photo cards, though smaller than their counterparts, are identical in all other aspects (a change from previous years). The team photo cards were supposed to be issued during an August 14 home game, but didn't get handed out due to the players strike. Thus, they are far more difficult to find.


Whenever I find new Lykes- especially the mini '94s- I'm all like...



2 comments:

  1. I keep waiting for the ball to go in the hoop....and it never does...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't know what's wrong w/ the loop. It's also supposed to show Mike jumping and doing his fist pump thing.

      Delete