Friday, May 1, 2015

Food-Issue Friday: Not Your Father's Post

I like to think that I have a good knowledge of Food-Issue cards that depict players in an Atlanta Braves uniform. I love food-issue cards. I love the Braves. Add the ingredients, follow the recipe, and you should have no surprises. Just like baking a cake. However... even the best chefs are constantly learning new and exciting recipes, so why should I think I am any different? In fact, I recently discovered an unknown (to me) Braves food-issue card featuring Mr. John Smoltz.

It could be that my ignorance of the existence of today's card was due to the fact that it doesn't look like a Post cereal card. When I think of Post cereal cards, there are a few things that come to mind....

Things like plain designs...



flimsy stock is certainly indicative of a cheap card...








Horribly cut cardboard- straight off the cereal box...



with no back, of course...




And let's not forget the decent sized 'Post' emblem on the front, to go along with the 'Collector Series' announcement.



And yes, facsimile autographs are nice- whether on the '92 edition, or on the back of the '95 edition.






Some things that aren't what you expect from a Post cereal card:



Lots of silver foil...

No Post logo on the front of the card...

Semi-intricate designs....




Really thick card stock...

Lots of gloss...

Holograms...

Did I mention, lots of silver foil?




 My dad was probably a little too old to have collected the Post cereal cards from the early 60s, but one thing is for sure...the 2003 Post cereal cards certainly weren't your father's Post cards.

1 comment:

  1. Too bad cereals don't come with prizes any more.

    ReplyDelete