Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Gonzalez, Stanton, Upton. Gonzalez, Stanton, Upton.

One of my favorite things to do while growing up was to pick up the Sunday sports section and head directly to the page where the major league league leaders were listed in all their glory. Once there, I would pore over the stats, reciting them over and over in my head (and sometimes, out loud) so that they would be available to recall at a moments notice.

Once the season was over, resources like Baseball Digest would serve the same purpose by having the end of year stats. Those would keep me busy through the off-season until the next year's baseball cards would roll out, with the beloved league leader cards to review. With all the rote memorization that took place during this period of my life, I'm surprised that I can't reel off those numbers that I had thought were indelibly burned into my mind.


I no longer pay close attention to the leaders in the various statistical categories, but one thing I still enjoy are the league leader cards. With the Heritage brand being a part of our hobby for the past decade and a half, we now have two subsets to enjoy. And while there's nothing wrong with the flagship's subset, the Heritage has it beat by a mile, with its nod to yesteryear.



My most recent mail day included this 2014 Heritage NL RBI Leaders card. Being a team set collector, these are essentials to the team collection- even if it features a Dodger, a division rival and a former Brave.


No comments:

Post a Comment