Monday, June 29, 2015

Omniscient

"Up here in space, I'm looking down on you. My lasers trace everything you do. You think you've private lives think nothing of the kind, there is no true escape I'm watching all the time... Always in focus, you can't feel my stare. I zoom into you but you don't know I'm there. I take a pride in probing all your secret moves. My tearless retina takes pictures that can prove...Electric eye in the sky feel my stare, always there. There's nothing you can do about it, develop and expose. I feed upon your every thought and so my powers grow." Judas Priest's Electric Eye



In case you're not aware of it, a lot of collectors were turned pissed off by the inclusion of high number SSP's in this year's Topps Archives. Seeded at 1:70 packs, the thirty cards are commanding a premium price on the secondary market- making it difficult for the set collector to finish off his (or her) set. As a team set collector, I wasn't too happy to find out that a John Smoltz card was included in that group, but I waited a few days and won an eBay auction for $10.28. Had I been more patient, I might have eventually got one for much cheaper.



The photo used on this card originally appeared in the 2008 Stadium Club set. The original looks more natural, whereas the Archives crop/zoom job makes Smoltzie look like some larger-than-life, all-knowing being-- perhaps Big Brother from Orwell's 1984 (of which inspired Priest's 1982 song).






Going back in time, to 1983 and Heavy Metal Day at the US Festival...



3 comments:

  1. That is a creepy crop job on that SP, I will be waiting to pick it up. Nice score however, that's the only Brave short printed correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct. Folty has a card with the 90 design, but I think it's just an insert

      Delete
  2. Great song selection! Haven't heard that in years. I have no problem with short prints that are reasonable (1 in 3, maybe 1 in 5)... but this 1 in 70 is way insane. Plus... having the top rookie card as one of those short prints was just plain dumb.

    P.S. Congratulations on grabbing the Smoltz.

    ReplyDelete