Tuesday, July 21, 2015

On the Box, Inside the Box and Thinking Outside of the Box

My collection has been undergoing a bit of a transformation. No longer am I trying to put together the legion of Braves team sets from every manufacturer under the sun; instead, I'm going back to the basics, trying to keep it simple.

The second most important part of my collection (the Braves Topps team sets being #1) is my Dale Murphy collection. He was my favorite player during my pre-teen years through my early twenties and though I didn't have many of his cards during those years (some of the regular Topps, Donruss and Fleer issues from '78-'84), I have certainly made up for it in my later years. And, other than a couple of magazines and a Pizza Hut placemat, my Murphy collection has pretty much been small pieces of cardboard. The vision of what that collection should look like has undergone a change, as well, as I've begun to think outside of the box. And part of that begins with a box. A box of 1988 Donruss, that is.




Looking back, I'm surprised that I had never purchased one of these before early in June. The cost certainly wasn't holding me back (I paid $2 plus $7.99 s/h), I guess it just wasn't anything I wanted to make room for on my shelves. But with the recent purge that has started to take place, space is no longer an issue.

One other thing... I've had to fight off the initial temptation to open the packs contained within this box. I mean, how fun it would be to pull a Murphy card! But, I have one in my collection and would rather just keep the packs in the box, as they are.


Now if I can only fine one of these display cases for a decent price!




Staying with the 'Box' theme-





4 comments:

  1. Very cool, wish I had all that space but 2 kids in a 3 bed house equals all I get is my desk. Time to remodel the garage!

    You get my Pwe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That box is a thousand times better than the cards inside. Nice pickup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree w/Nick. I'd take the box any day of the week over the cards in side of them. I'll try to dig out some Murphy cards for your package.

      Delete