Saturday, July 11, 2015

Please Spend Responsibly

As I've gotten older I've become more difficult to shop for and prefer dictating what gifts I receive for birthdays, Father's Day and Christmas. It's probably not as much fun for my family, but I'd rather not get something that I won't enjoy, use, or like- so I just ask for money or give them a want list. I hope that doesn't sound like I'm ungrateful, because I'm generally a grateful person. I will add that this has more to do with larger purchases- not some of the smaller ones that my kids send my way (such as the bag of mini peanut butter cups and box of Willy Wonka Runts I received for Father's Day from my kids).

The gift for this past Father's Day (from my wife) is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.



As you can see, my beloved even let me pick the store and without any mentioning of price limit- just to "please spend responsibly." Alrighty, then!


My shopping spree on COMC.com began with some new Chippers:



Boxtopper- with not one, not two, but THREE of my favorite players!!! How could I pass this one up?





Is that blood on that swatch? I don't think so- but it doesn't hurt to pretend.



Another Turkey Red. Looks like Chip's about to adjust his cup right here. Heh.



Been wanting this one for quite some time- love these A&G box toppers. Only wish I had a sheet protector that these fit in nicely.


My second UD Masterpieces of Larry Legend- this one from 2007. One of the greatest brands of all-time!!!


Let's move on...

"NOW WITH"

 I decided to include a few from older O-Pee-Chee sets. You know the ones. They include "Now with (insert team name)", feature the logo and/or team name but include a photo with the player in his previous team's uniform. Must have for any team set collectors.







I especially like the facsimile auto of Nahorodny. Notice the "i" in Bill is dotted with a baseball? How cute. I think those awful softball uniforms took away his man-card.



Finally, what would a spending spree be without some Murph's?!!!

 Beautiful. That's all I can say about this one.


Desert Storm card from his time with the Fightin' Phils. Much cheaper than I had expected. Paid a buck and change for this one!


Though she doesn't read the blog, I want to thank my bride for the opportunity to pick up some newbies for an affordable price. I'd like to think that I held to my end of the bargain (responsible spending).






5 comments:

  1. BTW, I'm forming a Baseball Card-themed metal band. We're calling ourselves BLOOD ON THE SWATCH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it fun to read posts about the significant other that supports this hobby. You got some nice cards there for sure. Have you tried using a regular sheet protector for those A&G Box Loader cards? I know it's not form fitting, but it's better than nothing, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same way when it comes to gifts. My wife doesn't really like it, but like you said I would rather get something that I really want rather than something that is just okay or I really don't want. For example, one time my parents got me the same exact book on consecutive birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your wife gives you baseball card shopping sprees for Father's Day? That's definitely wife of the year material.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a gem- I've been blessed beyond measure.

      Delete