Saturday, September 5, 2015

Prices Like It's 1989

"I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray. But when I woke up this mornin', could've sworn it was judgement day... I was dreamin' when I wrote this, so sue me if I go too fast. But life is just a party and parties weren't made to last." Prince's 1999

For the past twenty-four years I've been wanting to add a particular card from 1989 to my collection. The card I'm referring to is the Dale Murphy reverse image from Upper Deck. There's only been one problem, though: pricing. All these years later, prices for the single still often run north of $30 for ungraded copies. Graded copies go for much more than that, of course. Prices weren't made to last and I wasn't about to pay like it's 1999 Nineteen Eighty-Nine.

I've placed bids on copies of the card on eBay over the years, but have always been outbid and, being on a limited card budget, have just moved on. But with my collecting focus back on Murphy cards and with birthday money in my pocket (and baby it was ready to roar! ),  I decided I was going all in. War all around me, I was prepared to fight. If I gotta die, I was going to listen to my collecting instincts that night.


I jumped in on the bidding for one of the cards but, once again, lost out at the very last second. I wasn't about to let that defeat my night- I came to party. So I waited it out and two weeks later found myself in the middle of another bidding war. This time, I prevailed- placing the winning bid with six seconds left on the auction.



The sky could have turned purple that night, with people running everywhere trying to run from destruction- but I wouldn't have cared. And if it's the last Murphy card I ever get, I would feel as though my Murphy collection's complete.

But I don't want it to be the last.

 I'd rather collect my life away.




3 comments:

  1. nice add.

    You know what annoys me about that card? That even though it was later found out that UD printed copies of that card AFTER the print run was done to hand out to friend and family.... the card STILL sells for high $$.
    Most of the ones you and I have bid on in an attempt to acquire, were never in packs. They were printed after!
    Grrrr....
    I hate when cards I want cost more than I want to pay. :)

    ReplyDelete