Sunday, September 6, 2015

Saturday Night's Alright for Fightin'

A few weeks ago I happened upon a few Dale Murphy items that were up for auction from the Topps Vault and decided they were items that I just had to have. While I knew that I'd be in for a fight with other Murphy collectors, I was surprised at how high the prices were driven up for what (I am presuming) are one-of-a-kind items.

Like many items that draw interest, the bidding doesn't start until late in the game, and these ones were no different. Up for auction were a Murphy color negative from 1985 Topps, two different negatives (separate auctions) from 1990 Topps and two different (again, separate auctions) from 1993 Topps. Unfortunately, three of the items escaped my eBay cart- and, of course, were the ones I really wanted. But even winning two Murphy's is something that you cannot be disappointed in. I mean, would you really be that disappointed in having a date with the Miss America runner-up? I didn't think so.

Let's take a look at what I didn't win.

1985 Topps Negative



One look at the closing price is all you need to know as to why I didn't win this auction. I just can't go anywhere near that amount. Have fun and enjoy it.

Closing price: $132.49 + $3.50 shipping

My highest bid: $37.22

Number of bids: 9

Number of bidders: 6





1990 Topps Negative #1



Same dude won this one. I really should have gone higher than my ceiling bid, but who knows how high the eventual winner would have gone.

Closing price: $26.88 +$3.50 shipping

My highest bid: $25.88

Number of bids: 9

Number of bidders: 6



1990 Topps Negative #2



Mr. Big Money Murphy collector wins again. *shakes fist at the screen*

Closing price: $45.89 + $3.50 shipping

My highest bid: $44.89

Number of bids:11

Number of bidders: 6



Now, on to MY WINNINGS!!

1993 Topps Negative #1

As shown on eBay- much better than my scan...

 As it scanned


Closing price: $26.00 + $3.50 shipping

Next closest bid: $25.00

Number of bids: 5

Number of bidders: 4



1993 Topps Negative #2


Same as first winning- eBay photo much better than my scan

As it scanned


Closing price: $23.45 + $3.50 shipping

Next closest bid: $22.95

Number of bids: 5

Number of bidders: 4




As I looked over the bid history and the list of bidders, I thing I took away is this- there is more interest in Murphy items showing him with the Braves than there is of his time with the Phillies. Small sample size, but that's the conclusion from the data provided.

1 comment:

  1. Without a flatbed that will backlight film (Epson and some Canon scanners do this), your best option at getting a good scan is turning on a bright light over it and scanning it with the lid open.

    ReplyDelete