Thursday, October 1, 2015

Get Your Kicks on Card 66

'Get your kicks on Route 66'~ Bobby Troup

'Where do you get your kicks?'~ AC/DC's 'What Do You Do For Money Honey'


The iconic 'Main Street of America'- also known as Mother Road, or the more recognizable name of Route 66- connected communities across America, from Illinois to Los Angeles. No longer were smaller towns without access to a major national thoroughfare. A few decades after the peak of the Mother Road's popularity, an Atlanta-based television station by the call letters of WTBS connected a community of baseball fans- from the southeastern part of the country known as 'Braves Country' to Washington state. Somewhere along the way (Idaho, to be precise), I joined in the fun.

My connection to 'America's Team' was largely in part to #3, Dale Murphy. And, as tough as it is for me to admit it, I have Ted Turner to thank. Had it not been for Turner's visionary leadership, I probably would not have become a Braves fan (all the way in Idaho!), or a Murphy fan. A Murph collector? Never would have happened.

And so, where do I get my kicks? Collecting Braves and Murphy cards, of course. Three, of which, are numbered 66. Each coming in consecutive years from Donruss.








































Have you ever gotten your kicks from card #66?



No comments:

Post a Comment