Thursday, October 15, 2015

Remnant from My First Card Show

I was kind of bummed recently when I checked to see when the next card show was scheduled, only to find out that the one that would typically take place in September had already happened- in early August. It sounds strange to hear myself say that because I had gotten tired of the same-ol', same-ol' that it had become. So what caused this change of heart? Football, believe it or not (I wanted to pick up Topps Seahawks singles for cheap and thought it'd be a good place to start). But for some reason it got me thinking about the first card show I ever attended.


I don't remember the exact date, but I certainly remember the first purchase at my very first card show. It was September, 1991, and the Braves and Dodgers were in a dogfight for the NL West title. One of the key players during this crucial time period was second-year pitcher Steve Avery, who went 5-0 over 8 starts between August 30th and October 4th. By this time, Stadium Club baseball had debuted and was an extremely hot product. I don't remember the pack price on the secondary market, but it was probably more than I wanted to pay- and since I couldn't find it at retail, I just waited for singles. Well, this particular day I found the card I wanted: one of the aforementioned Avery. 



The show was in a business plaza that was the home to a card shop called Base Hit Sports Cards. The plaza had a nice, large common area where the dealers tables were set up. And though it was 24 years ago, I still remember the spot where I bought the Avery card (but I don't remember who the dealer was). The location would be home to more shows for at least the next year or two. I even set up a table at a couple of the shows and had a lot of success selling cards from binders that were marked at 4/$1.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After completing the HDSA Team Hope Walk this past weekend, we decided to go out for some ice cream- and I knew the perfect place. There is an old ice-cream parlor a short distance from the park where we were, and it's become somewhat of a legendary place. But before we got to the parlor, we came across those old stomping grounds at Cole and Ustick. Feeling a bit nostalgic, I pulled off the road and into the parking lot. The business plaza is still there- but Base Hit Cards is long gone, as they closed the doors around '93 or so. I debated on whether or not to take a picture to include in this post. I decided not to and drove a couple of blocks down the road, to where we would enjoy some homemade ice cream.

It would have been nice to have been able to walk into that old building and purchase a card or two. But at least I was able to drive away with a memory- and come home to a card.



1 comment:

  1. It's pretty sad that I no longer remember my very first card show. I remember attending a bunch at a local high school in the late 80's/early 90's... but I'm pretty sure there were others before those. As for card shops... all of the ones I attended in the 80's and 90's are closed... including the two I worked at. I like your idea of going back and taking a photo. Might need to do this for a future post. If anything... it'll help me remember the good old days. Of course... homemade ice cream sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete